Want a jazz style tone but have a bass that has soapbar cover routing? No problem. The Jazz Bar makes available everything you love about jazz style pickups stuffed into a nice and neat soapbar cover. Tone wise, there is no difference between this model and our standard Jazz Model. In ordering this pickup, your jazz tone chasing anxieties can rest easy with the knowledge that any of our J pickups can soon be yours with just a click of a button.
- Soapbar jazz-type bass pickup.
- A choice of alnico III or V magnets.
- Alnico III: will provide a blanket of warmth for your pickup, giving it a slightly softer character.
- Alnico V: all around darker, punchier, and meaner.
- Laser cut, fiber bobbins.
- Wax-potted to contain any unruly frequency that may attempt to desecrate your desired tone.
- Available with these Nordstrand J-pickup styles:
- 60s era correct Heavy Formvar wire and alnico V magnet.
- 70s wind, featuring enamel wire and a lower wind count than the traditional 60s wind. In choosing this particular specification, the player can expect a more aggressive, enhanced top end with a tight bottom.
- Split coil hum-canceling model that delivers clarity, a tight bottom end, articulate growl, and interactive resonance.
- Split coil hum-canceling wound enhances a darker midrange and slightly inhibited high end.
- Available in black plastic covers.
- Bartolini® P2 (4.27″ x 1.27″)
- EMG40® (1.51″ x 4.02″)
History: These pickups were created to satisfy players who prefer the soapbar cover look without having to abandon J-style vintage tone. Even if you're predominantly not a jazz-style player and prefer the bulk and beef of ordinary soapbar-style pickups, it may still prove wise to add a jazz option to your otherwise soapbar dominated tonal arsenal.
- *Not exactly what you are looking for? Email the shop directly or call the shop at: 909-790-2548 to find out about our many custom pickup options.
Tonal Balance = 5
1=Dark/Bass-Heavy, 10=Bright/Less Bass
Mids = 5
1=Less Mids, 10=More Mids
Dynamics = 6
1=Slow, Loose, Blurry, 10=Quick, Tight, Controlled
Character/Color = 7
1=Flat, Plain, 10=Colorful
Alnico III magnets differ from Alnico V in that they are warmer with a softer character. Think of them like a 60’s J style sound taken even further down the warm and fat path. Alnico V by contrast is brighter, cleaner and punchier, and will have a more wiry, stringy character. As another example, we’d recommend A3 for fretless or a fat 60’s Jaco type thing and A5 is great for a modern slap type thing or an R and B sound.
Alnico V comes standard.
To order the AlNiCo III version, add the pickup(s) to cart above and then click here to add the custom magnet type.
Length: 4.27” (108.46 mm)
Width: 1.27” (32.36 mm)
Length: 4.02” (102.11 mm)
Width: 1.51” (38.35 mm)