This pickup is essentially a tamer version of the NP5. A good way to sum up its tone might be to think of the difference between a hard hitting rock player (NP5) to an edgy jazz, blues, or country player (NP5V). Though still equipped with our angled pole design—giving it some extra gruff and growl in its mid and low ranges—its smaller magnet load provides less output, and therefore does not have the kind of intense impact found in the NP5. This pickup has a smooth dynamic character resonant of classic P models, enabling the 5-string player to acquire a tone that is sightly diminished in power but sacrifices nothing in terms of saturation and presence.
- Hum-canceling split coil 5 string precision-type bass pickup.
- Drop-in replacement P-bass pickup.
- Furbished with Nordstrand’s famous angled pole pieces.
- Smaller magnet load for less output.
- Available in black plastic covers.
- Available in alnico III or V magnets.
- Alnico III: will provide a blanket of warmth for your pickup, giving it a slightly softer character.
- Alnico V: an all around growly and striking sound.
- Laser cut vulcanized fiber bobbins wound with 42 SPN wire.
- Potted in a paraffin-beeswax mix to contain any unruly frequency that may attempt to desecrate your desired tone.
History: This pickup was created in order to supply players with a P5 model that is a little less powerful than the standard P5. Its sole purpose is to perpetuate tone that is creamy, smooth, and fulfilling without losing any of the unf present is classic Ps. With the roaring presence of the standard P5, it was essential that we find a way to provide 5-string players with a sound that contains something close to 60s-70s tone but is still sprinkled with the life-giving aggression of its higher output brother.
*Not exactly what you are looking for? Email the shop directly or call the shop at: 909-790-2548 to find out about our many custom pickup options.